BYB4B Terms of Reference for Individual Donations
Burn Your Bra for Bev, as a committee, have collectively decided to change the approach - to celebrate life, encourage strength and lovingly support to those who may be faced with certain challenges today. The focus will be individuals who have been diagnosed with medical conditions that will drastically interrupt their lifestyle. BYB4B would like to aid families in the expenses that are often sprung upon them in the event of a life threatening or long term illness.
From 2011 forward, a portion of the monies raised through BYB4B events and fundraisers will be used to directly support our next door neighbours, friends in our communities, and family with medical challenges beyond their control. It is believed that this is the direction that Bev (Schultz) Griffith, BYB4B namesake, wanted to see the fundraiser go.
Burn Your Bra for Bev will follow the following term and conditions when considering applications each year:
1) A formal request is made by the individual, someone on behalf of the individual or a committee member on his or her behalf. The request is presented to the full BYB4B Committee and a decision is made based on consensus.
2) The request will be recorded on paper, email, hand written note, typed letter as well as the decision of the committee. A similar record will be maintained of the donation and the person it was donated to.
3) BYB4B will donate money for expenses that have recently occurred or are expected to be incurred in the very near future. The BYB4B communities are small and rural. Expenses such as mileage, parking, food and overnight accommodations are often incurred through travel for medical treatment in the City or elsewhere. As well, income that is interrupted, childcare that may become necessary, or general support that must be acquired are all examples of expenses associated with medical diagnosis that influences an individuals life.
4) Priority will be given to individuals within the BYB4B communities (geographical area where the majority of attendees of the fundraiser, hail from) or who have been a long time resident at one time.
5) Request will be reviewed on an as need basis. Regular meetings will be established if it becomes necessary to deal with numerous requests.
6) Donors will be notified of the total amount donated to families in the community at each fundraiser, in thank-you letters and in a press release, annually. Individual names will not be public knowledge. Total amount donated and the number of families can be shared (as long as there is more than one family).
7) BYB4B will only give away money that has already been fundraised and can allocate in the bank account under the Burn Your Bra name. The money will be considered excess to funds needed to pay for expenses and down payments associated with events in the following year.
8) When a long term outcome is uncertain, BYB4B can consider a donation to support immediate costs and then consider additional donations as needed to continue to support long term expenses associated with the medical condition.
9) Donation will be made with a cheque and a letter with notification that the committee agreed to this donation and that the recipient and donation amount to that recipient will be kept anonymous.
"I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can." George Bernard Shaw
Burn Your Bra for Bev Committee
February 1, 2011
For more information or to submit an application please contact Jody Gleeson:
Phone: Jody Gleeson (613) 624-5079